I recently read an article by finance expert Dave Ramsey on holiday finances that asked three important questions we need to ask ourselves before buying ourselves a gift this holiday season.
1. Will this purchase strain my budget?
2. Would someone else like to gift this to me?
3. Am I robbing myself of greater joy?
As I read this blog I started to think about how the same principles can be applied to how we snack this holiday season. You already know there are going to be a lot of opportunities to eat holiday junk food at every turn so use these three tips to help keep your consumption in moderation over the next five weeks.
Before you mindlessly grab another sugar cookie ponder these three questions:
1. Will eating this strain my calorie budget: We all have a calorie budget. Go over and we gain weight. All foods fit in moderation. One treat is no big deal. Five or six treats and your budget is blown.
2. Before purchasing holiday junk food, what is the likelihood someone will buy this for me: Even though I am not a huge consumer of sweet treats I always seem to come home with many variations of holiday candies, cookies, cakes, etc. from clients, co-workers and friends. You will as well so before buying holiday treats know you will come home with a lot more than your fair share of the same holiday goodies you are contemplating buying yourself.
3. Is instant gratification robbing me of achieving my long term goal: This is where mindless eating comes into play and it can happen before you realize it. There will be a lot of delicious options available to you at home, at work and at social events so be mindful of how you eat throughout the day and at parties. Don’t make the excuse that it’s the holidays. You can still enjoy foods in moderation and not blow your goals.
Remember the 85% Rule: Eat clean 85% of the time leaving 15% of your calories to be used any way you choose. This concept works the other 10 ½ months a year. It will work throughout the holiday season as well!